Thursday, June 30, 2011

Thursday Market Summary

Thursday was another sharp up day in the markets. This should not be a surprise to anyone who reads this blog or follows me on twitter. The S&P 500 index broke through the 61.8% fib level, the 50 moving average, a pivot low and a down sloping trend-line. I think it's possible we go higher to the 1330 or 1345 levels, but we are currently into strong resistance that should bring some sort of pullback.



I took a short position on the SPY at 131.70 and 132.05 via the HSD.to 2x ETF, as per my post yesterday. I also shorted the NASDAQ at around 2773. Both of these positions ended flat on the day.

The timing of these shorts could be better as we're entering into a holiday period. Those who've been following me know that I generally assume an up market in light volume holiday trading. In fact unless we get some kind of horrible news out of Europe, I wouldn't be surprised to see a flat or slightly up day tomorrow. The shorting levels should still work once the holidays are over.

Canadian markets are closed tomorrow for Canada Day. The TSX60 is into strong resistance as well, but I'd like to see it higher before shorting, preferably into the daily 200MA or even the 50MA. I'm less confident that a top is in on the TSX so I left it to short on Monday or Tuesday in case the markets float up again.


I'll be watching the markets on Friday but I expect trading to be extremely light in volume and therefore fairly boring. If I see anything interesting I'll be sure to post it here or on twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment